[-empyre-] DIY, regulations and artistic practice
Tarsh Bates
2018-10-29 04:42:11 UTC
Thanks Theresa for your interesting question. I work from Australia
where the rules are quite different and within an academic institution
so definitely not DIY. In some ways working in the institution changes
my work more than DIY because I have more bureaucracy. I have to apply
for and comply with institutional approvals - the same ones scientists
apply for - biosafety, risk management and human and animal ethics.
These approvals are set up for scientific experimentation and artistic
research often challenges the questions on the application forms and the
decision-making boards who are usually scientists or bioethicists and
many of whom are unfamiliar with contemporary art practices or who think
that art is for promoting science rather than engaging with the cultural
practices of science (and art). If anyone from the DIY sector/US want to
weigh in...
--
Co-Convenor Quite Frankly: Its a Monster Conference 18-19 October 2018

Curator This Mess We're In 13 October - 2 November 2018 Unhallowed Arts
Festival 2018

Postdoctoral Research Associate • SymbioticA • School of Human Sciences
• The University of Western Australia • M309, 35 Stirling Hwy Crawley WA
6009 Australia • T +61 8 6488 5583 • M +61 (0) 432 324 708 • E
***@research.uwa.edu.au

I acknowledge the traditional owners of the lands on which I live: The
Whadjuk people of the Noongar Nation. I acknowledge their ancestors and
pay my respects to their elders; past, present and future.

empyre forum
***@lists.artdesign.u